How the pro's wind a mainspring

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
richardh

Re: How the pro's wind a mainspring

Post by richardh »

Steve wrote:Believe it or not, I did actually have a demonstration of how it works when I bought it 15 years ago but I was not really able to take it all in at the time and my memory is a blank. :roll:

One tiny thing I do recall though is that a single operation is carried out with the device in one setup and then, something gets pulled out and "reversed" for the following operation? Sorry, that's about it!
Steve, you must have been having a blonde moment :lol: If someone does work out how to use your winder you'll have to really concentrate!!

RJ 8-)

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

richardh wrote:Steve, you must have been having a blonde moment
Indeed! Although, this might sound a bit odd, but I wasn't even the slightest bit interested at the time and that's why it "passed me by". I only bought it because it would otherwise have been gifted to a local museum where it would have just gathered dust and sat on a shelf and no one would probably even look at it or know what it was. Okay, that's exactly all I've done with it too but......I'm a collector and that's what we folks tend to do! :lol:

I seem to remember worrying about a traffic warden and my car being "illegally" parked at the time too and was just anxious to collect a few things and get going before I got a ticket. Not the best environment to be shown something or to concentrate either. Oh well, my loss......

richardh

Post by richardh »

Better in a collectors hands than gathering dust in a museum store room!

Don't worry Steve, we'll tell you when the explanation is on it's way and you need to focus :lol:

RJ 8-)

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

richardh wrote:Don't worry Steve, we'll tell you when the explanation is on it's way and you need to focus
Thanks! ;)

No worries today, I have my own car-park! LOL! :o

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Steve wrote:
Aaron wrote:I think i may have an idea as to how this works but Steve do i have you permision to take one of your pictures and add it to my paint program to diagram how i think it works?
Of course you do! Be my guest, folks. I have as much interest in trying to figure out how it all works as you do.
Aaron,

I am still curious to see what think.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Aaron,

I am still curious to see what think
Me too, Brad, but I guess we'll never know now?

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

ok sorry guys... i just today got back from the atlantic city car show and i wasnt able to access the internet.Ill take the picture tonoight and figure out how to word what i want to say then ill post it hopefully by the end of tonight...

sorry for the delay,

Aaron

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Ok guys I finally got to writing my thoughts…

Heres what I think…

Ok so as Shane stated I too think it is intended to wind the spring and then wire it NOT putting it directly into the barrel.
First for the point labeled A I think this is where the end of the spring with the clip would attach. Then it would be attached to the part I have labeled B. The part labeled C is obviously used to crank the spring and wind it and the part labeled D is a ratchet system so that the spring doesn’t cause the spring to un wind. Now the parts labeled E I have no clue what they do and they may not have any purpose at all… Steve says he recalls something being “reversed” so the spring may have been wound backwards and then reversed when placed in the barrel. I seem to recall at one point seeing on TV something about main springs and if I remember correctly they wound it backwards until it was ready to be placed where it was needed. So other that that I am un sure. Perhaps ill find some time to do some research and see if I can find out more.

Aaron
Attachments
f_HOME0312060m_4eb3d45.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I was also thinking later that the end of the spring would hook onto "A", and when the spring was wound, it would pull the frame up over the spring. I'm just not sure how you'd get the wire around the spring with "A" attached to it.
I'd love to throw a spring on it & experiment with it though :)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Aaron wrote:Steve says he recalls something being “reversed” so the spring may have been wound backwards and then reversed when placed in the barrel.
Aaron,

As far as I can tell, he’s talking about the handle being reversed, as you would want it to point outwards to be able to wind a spring with it, but having it turned inwards is far more convenient for storage/transportation.

I cannot comment on how correct you guys are on the usage—I really have no clue.
gramophoneshane wrote:I'd love to throw a spring on it & experiment with it though :)
I would also, although I’d be a bit concerned that I might damage the spring through my ineptitude. While being fairly ‘handy’, I’ve never had to wind a spring.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.