Edison Bashing

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Edison Bashing

Post by OrthoFan »

I looked over the List Universe site today -- http://listverse.com and noted that they had posted another "top ten" list of influential scientists, this time, including Thomas Edison.

http://listverse.com/science/another-10 ... cientists/

I couldn't believe some of the comments posted:

----------------------------
"Edison stole all his inventions."
"count me amongst the people who want edison off the list!"

"I have no doubt Edison was a brilliant entrepreneur & quite possibly a good scientist in his own right.
But, the very fact that he can go around electrocuting animals, just to run a malicious campaign to discredit someone else’s work (when his own current was equally, if not more lethal) makes him lose respect in my mind.

An interesting article on Edison’s alleged inventions.
http://jawadonweb.com/?page_id=900"

"Thomas Edison was not a scientist.

Becoming a scientist requires a lot more than holding a bunch of patents.

By this rationale, Ron Popeil is also a scientist."

------------------------------

"Thomas Edison does NOT belong here. He was most definitely NOT a scientist either by our definition today and barely by the definition then."

------------------------------

"Edison was a communist."

-------------------------------

"Edison was an intellectual thief and a glory-hunting conman. Having many patents to one’s name does not make one an inventor any more than it does a scientist."

----------------------------------------

Personally, I've always felt that Edison was a pioneer in the field of science, if for no other reason than the fact that he combined scientific pursuits with capitalistic ventures. I don't think it's far off base to say that Edison established what would become the prototype for the modern (commercial or independent) research laboratory.

Just my two cents.

Schmaltz
Victor I
Personal Text: "Shut Your Eyes and See" (J. Joyce)

Re: Edison Bashing

Post by Schmaltz »

It would be easy to counter every one of those knee-jerk reactions against Edison's contribution with solid facts.

Those comments that those people posted may be their only individual contribution to Humanity. Kinda pitiful, really.
Visit the virtual jukebox at The Old Schmaltz Archives.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I suppose if one looks hard enough one can always find some website tearing down the greatest of the great. Let them ramble on. They will believe what they want anyway. Wonder how many of the critics had even one patent of their own. I'm personally working on my 900th patent. I gave up on the first 899. :lol:

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I hope to get a patent on my new "time machine." It actually works quite well, and as a result I've signed up to become an Edison dealer in April 1904. I'll be able to get one copy of every cylinder in mint condition and a ton of pristine machines with shiny horns! However, there's one serious drawback.....there's no hot dance band music in 1904. Do you think this will be a problem?

:?: :twisted: :?:
:squirrel:

Rocky

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

A good proof of what a friend of mine used to say. Edison's popularity has vanished over the decades, especially in the US. What remains is a mixture of false information mixed with other half-truths. Sad but true...

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I'd probably take more issue with calling him a "brilliant entrepreneur" than scientist. His stubbornly sticking to the cylinder format long after it was obvious the direction of the market, his desire to impart his own personal tastes in music to fit his "morality" over that of public opinion, and his creating his own disk format, again, in the direct opposition to what was dominating the market I think while possessing a great mind for invetion, was far from the best in terms of business sense.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Zeppy,

I agree with you.

Even more than that early on he did not want the phonograph to be used for entertainment. Thought it had business appliction only.

He also never got into radio dismissing it as a passing fad or something of the sort.

He was surely a stubborn, opinionated *** but he was certainly brilliant.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Edison bashing comes from those who collar you and start in with " Do you realize that So and So didn't actually invent the Such and Such..??" We've heard it all: Bell didn't invent the telephone: Marconi didn't invent the wireless : Edison didn't invent practically everything that came out of his lab :D It all stems from the fact that virtually no technical advance springs full blown from the forehead of Zeus, as it were. These gents were the ones with the genius to made an imperfect device or a untried concept actually work in the practical sense.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Bingo, you are right on. So using the logic of these guys, once the wheel was invented, most everything else in and Edison or any other type of machine somehow sprung out of that so it was all stolen from the cavemen.

And after all, the ear is just a diaphragm so Edison stole the idea of reproducing sound from the concept of the eardrum, invented by God I guess, so Edison actually steals from God.

Certainly as a result of this any of you who have a blue amberol on the premises can expect a lightning bolt soon!

Amberola 1-A
Victor II

Post by Amberola 1-A »

And just remember, if it wasn't for Edison, we'd be watching TV by candle light...................

:clover:
Check with your dealer for the latest Edison Records!