Featured Phonograph No. 83 - Amberola 1A Serial no. 403

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph No. 83 - Amberola 1A Serial no. 403

Post by Valecnik »

Make: Edison of course
Model: Amberola 1A
Serial #: 403
Year(s) Made: 1909 - 1911
Original Cost: $200
Case/Cabinet Size: everybody knows
Reproducer/Sound-Box:Originally with L or M. This one's been refitted with a Diamond B
Motor: Double Spring
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value: in this market, who knows
Favorite Characteristics: For me it's the "industrial build of the works.

Okay,we've all seen beautiful examples, or at least pictures of of the Amberola 1A, some stunning ones posted right on this forum. However this one has a couple of particular characteristics I've not seen before, both visible in the photos. Rather than my pointing you to them, you guys figure it out! :lol:

PS: as many of you know, if you click on any photo, it doubles or triples in size and if you click again, you get incredibly detailed photos that load so you can examine details, thanks to the technical sophistication of this forum.
Attachments
IMG_6076.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG
IMG_6084.JPG
IMG_6085.JPG
IMG_6091.JPG
IMG_6093.JPG
Last edited by Valecnik on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Featured Phonograph No. 83 - Amberola 1A Serial no. 403

Post by estott »

Handsome machine in fumed oak. An interesting mix of antique copper and gold fittings. The crank appears VERY strange.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Valecnik,

Love that machine. Curved crank, a knob doohicky on the left side above the motor bed plate support strut, and double lid supports. (like dual exhausts on a car!)

What is that knob (front left) for? Does it release the lid support?

Steve

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

The 1A that I once owned had flaking maroon enamel and remnants of pin striping. The paint on yours looks to be in pretty good condition, but I wonder why there is no pin striping?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Gun metal decks are frequently found on oak machines and I don't think they were striped. Jerry

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

estott wrote:Handsome machine in fumed oak. An interesting mix of antique copper and gold fittings. The crank appears VERY strange.
Andersun wrote:Valecnik,

Love that machine. Curved crank, a knob doohicky on the left side above the motor bed plate support strut, and double lid supports. (like dual exhausts on a car!)

What is that knob (front left) for? Does it release the lid support?

Steve
You guys are sharp! The crank looks to be original and when you pull the "knob dookicky" on the left side, it trips the lid support on the left side and the lid is slowly lowered by the threaded lid support mechanism on the right side... so the lid slowly lowers like it would on an othophonic victrola 15 or so years later.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That's a beauty all right! I'd love to know the origin of the lid closing mechanism.

I cannot figure out why the crank is shaped like that!

Thanks for posting - -

George P.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Valecnik,

What is the screw for? and also, what is this button shaped thing for.....
Attachments
1Ab.jpg
1A.jpg

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Andersun wrote:Valecnik,

What is the screw for? and also, what is this button shaped thing for.....
The way that the trip mechanism works is that the horizontal bar hooks behind the left lid support and trips it when you pull the vertical spiraled rod towards you. The “button” on the vertical spiraled rod actually is threaded through the vertical spiraled rod and passes into (or through, I can’t recall) the horizontal bar. The vertical spiraled rod pivots off from a threaded bold a bit further below.

The “button” visible on the right side of the case passes through the case and the threaded wheel turns on it, as the teeth on the right lid support go over it.

Not sure whether that’s what you were asking though…

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Jerry B. wrote:Gun metal decks are frequently found on oak machines and I don't think they were striped. Jerry
I think almost all the oak 1As had gun metal decks with no pinstriping although I know of legitimate examples of Oak 1A's with maroon, pinstriped bedplates, (i.e. matching numbers)
phonogfp wrote:That's a beauty all right! I'd love to know the origin of the lid closing mechanism.

I cannot figure out why the crank is shaped like that!

Thanks for posting - -

George P.
I was hoping that posting this might trigger someone to produce some paper on the on the lid closing mechanism. Also, I wonder if it's related to the crank, i.e. sold as a package to "ergonomically wind your phono and lower the lid" or something like that??? The crank works fine that way but honestly I see no technical advantage at all.