Early Operating Instructions For Phonographs

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Early Operating Instructions For Phonographs

Post by SonnyPhono »

I came across the directions for operating the "Columbia" and "Bijou" Graphophones today. Here it is: (Sorry about the poor quality picture and glare from the plastic covering it.)
Columbia and Bijou Operating Instructions.JPG
Columbia and Bijou Operating Instructions.JPG (173.57 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
I have seen operating instructions for different phonographs in the past and know that for common, and especially later machines they aren't rare by any means. So when I saw this one I just assumed it was like other instructions I have seen before and didn't think too much about it. However, the more I think about it, these were two fairly early machines and I don't recall seeing anything particularly like it before.

Has anyone else seen this before?

WDC
Victor IV

Re: Early Operating Instructions For Phonographs

Post by WDC »

Certainly a good find. This manual would date 1895-96. It is only the third copy I have seen so far.
The Bijou here would be the Columbia Type N.

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

I wasn't sure about the date because the "Bijou" and "Columbia" nomenclature weren't specific to just the Type N and Type A Graphophones. I appreciate you narrowing it down for me.

Here are scans of each page for anyone interested:
Bijou Operation Cover.jpg
Untitled (2).jpg

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I'm sorry, just took another look. For some reason the machine looked like a Type N to me, but yes, it is a Type A. The confusing thing is, that Columbia named several of these machines Bijou.

I would to correct the date to likely 1897 (either not bad at all!). I have seen so far two instruction manuals for the Type N, but this would be the first I have been of a Type A. Thanks for the posting the scan!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with the 1897 date. The instructions aren't specific about how to turn on/stop the motor, so it appears they were intended for use with the A and the N. Nice! For all the Type As out there, wouldn't you think the instructions would show up more often?

Thanks for the posting.

George P.

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

Sonny----Hope all is well with you!! Thanks for posting the instructions.Good find.:D
George--No disrespect intended, but your assessment that there should be more original instructions floating around is incorrect since finding just simple parts for a Type A is equal to the search for the Holy Grail!! It is my opinion, that if we one day go back to the moon, that is where they will be found! We missed them evidently the first time we went there. :lol: George, thanks though, for your help in my search.
If anyone has a speed control knob for a Type A, please post a picture of it with a ruler in front and I will replicate the part myself. It would be greatly appreciated. Michael

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Thought it would be fun to pose one of my Columbia A's in the instruction manual picture:

Couldn't find a beaded oak board or table to make it exactly like the cover.

Machinist: Email me, I have a governor and speed control I can probably part with, I hate to hear a grown man cry....... :D

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Nice Washington A, Chuck!

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Thanks, George

For some reason, I find the Model A's appealing. I have 3 of them, all slightly different but all with near mint chassis decorations, took a long time finding them.

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

I feel your pain - I have 5 of them! :lol: But they're all different, even if my wife doesn't think so...

George P.