Sonora Grand from 1920?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Sonora Grand from 1920?

Post by DGPros »

I would like to start out by thanking you all in advance. I have been scouring the internet since I picked up my Sonora on friday. So I am very new to this. I have learned much already from this forum and hope to learn more. From what I've gathered, or guessed, is that this is a Sonora Grand from 1920. A piece of paper on the underside showed 1920 as the most recent year. The serial # is Instrument#A 732995.I've only used lemon oil to clean it up and reattached the wood arm. A few questions I have are.
a) Am I correct in my model?
b) I've also read there is an issue with the wood arms with gaps and sound quality? How would I go about fixing this.
c) What type of wood is this? It looks like it may have been stained at some point, how can I tell, other than seeing some minor runs in the corners.

I am having some issue with downloading the pictures I took on my phone other than this one. I can post more if anyone is interested when I iron this issue out. i did take it apart to clean it up a bit and yet it STILL works! I purchased it because I thought it was a beautiful piece, not for resale or anything.
Thanks,
Gary
Attachments
Sonora Grand picture.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Sonora Grand from 1920?

Post by Jerry B. »

For a first machine, you have picked a very attractive one. I think you have a Grand model but empty the parts drawer and look on the underside. Many times the model is stamped on the underside. Most Sonora tone arms simply slip down over a pin and I don't think there is any way to correct any sound leakage. It's the way it was designed and that is as good as it gets. I suspect your machine is mahogany and I hope you enjoy it very much. Jerry Blais

deghi
Victor Jr

Post by deghi »

Hoping some of this stuff might help! :D These are from the 1917 or 1918 (not exactly sure) sales brochure.
Attachments
sonora invincible.jpg
sonora grand.jpg

EdisonPhonographGuy
Victor O
Personal Text: Edison Phonographs

Post by EdisonPhonographGuy »

On my sonora concert the ID plate was under the turntable.
revive all kinds of edison cylinder phonographs and roller organs

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Below is a scan from Sonora's 1920 catalog. I believe your model is the "Elite."

George P.
Attachments
Elite.jpg

Victrolaman
Victor II

Post by Victrolaman »

Congrats on your Sonora. Sonora had some of the finest cabinets in my opinion. I own one of the Rare period models they made. Yours also has the wooden tone arm as well.
Yours definitely is the Elite model. I wouldn't do a thing to the cabinet it's perfect as is other than the lemon oil.
I use a blend of bees wax and carnauba wax on my machines. It's Howard's brand good stuff.
Congratulations again on your machine, nice one for your first purchase. Becarefull it gets addictive though buying these :)

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Thank you all for your responses. I can say it looks great in my living room and have enjoyed some of the 78s that I also picked up with it. i understand I also have some work to do on what type of stylus to use. There were a few curved with a tip. They came in a round plastic container that says "Ruby $3.50 Up to 10,000 plays. Also a bunch of plain "steel?" stylus's came with it with no markings. I am looking forward to learning more about these phonographs. Thanks again, love this forum!

Gary
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Those ruby tipped needles aren't for this machine & they'll hurt your records. They were only for use in a lightweight arm from decades later

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Congrats on your acquisition. IMHO Sonora made some really beautiful cabinets for their machines and yours is certainly handsome.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.