Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
solophoneman
Victor II

Featured Phonograph № 9

Post by solophoneman »

Make: Victor
Model: III, Type M
Serial # 34549
Years: 1902-1920 (this one is from 1907)
Original Cost: $40.00
Case/Cabinet Size: 14½" by 14½" by 7"
Turntable: 10" Cast Iron
Soundbox: #11 Exhibition Reproducer
Motor: Double Spring
Horn Dimensions: Smooth Oak horn 18½" Bell or Black Flower Horn with 19" Bell
Repro Parts: None
Current Value: ?
Interesting Facts: Found in the 2nd story of an old Country Barn not far from here. Found with a Black Flower Horn with a 19" Bell, I acquired the Oak horn later on from a private party.

Last edited by solophoneman on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

schweg
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 9

Post by schweg »

Metal or wood?.....wood or metal?..... looks great either way

Steve

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

schweg wrote:Metal or wood?.....wood or metal?..... looks great either way
I agree, although I’ve always favored the black metal horns. I’ve been told the wood horns are more desirable (because they require more work to produce, which makes sense), though.

solophoneman shared some interesting facts about this machine via a private message:
solophoneman wrote:It is my favorite and best Victor, and all original, with only one previous owner other than myself. Was in the same family for decades and decades. I just posted another photo how it was originally found with the 19" belled Flower horn. It is nice to be able to have the option to change the horns and they both have their original horn elbows as well.
Out of curiosity—how often are the horn elbows in bad shape or replacements?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Very nice machine, solophoneman.

Paul

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

For my money I much prefer it with its original black 18" diameter morning glory horn. Especially when you look at the condition of that baby! It's near mint! What an amazing survival, you must be really thrilled with it. There is something iconic about that horn and on the smaller machines particularly, it just looks great. Also, the black and gilt back-bracket really sets it off too and gives the whole machine a perfect balance. As nice as the veneered horns are, I would personally have stayed with the original back one and maybe put the money towards getting another different machine. Great machine though, either way!

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Actually, I display and play it mostly with the original Black Horn, but I just wanted to show the options of these versatile Talking Machines where you could easily change the horns to give it a different look if you desired to do so. Also either horn also slips on easily to my early Victor Humpback II, all you have to do is change the horn elbow and slide it on and lock it.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

solophoneman wrote:Actually, I display and play it mostly with the original Black Horn...
Do you detect a noticeable difference in sound between the two horns when records are played on this machine?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Congratulations on a very nice machine. I too like the black petaled horns but have the both for my victor IIi. Also one of my favorites even though not the most expensive!

Appears to be the earlier style with bigger base molding and slotted crank yes?

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Valecnik wrote:Congratulations on a very nice machine. I too like the black petaled horns but have the both for my victor IIi. Also one of my favorites even though not the most expensive!

Appears to be the earlier style with bigger base molding and slotted crank yes?

This is the type M which first appeared in 1906, it was the 3rd style of Victor III according to the Victor Data book. I would say that it had the larger base molding, but the crank is not slotted, rather it is ¼" female. According to the Data book, even the 2nd style from 1903 had a female crank, and I am not sure about the first style, as the type of crank is not described.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Beautiful machine solophoneman, it really is in excellent condition. I think both horns look good on it, and it would be a hard choice to decide which to leave on the machine :D you will just have to rotate them.
Regards Marcel