Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
solophoneman
Victor II

Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Post by solophoneman »

Ok, I thought I would break the ice here and start a new thread about records featuring famous historical features. Here is former President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt on a 12" Victor 35250 with two speeches, side A is "Why the Trusts and Bosses oppose the Progressive Party" and Side B is "The farmer and the Business Man". Roosevelt was the Progressive or Bull Moose Party Candidate in 1912, the Republican nominee was the incumbent William Howard Taft and the Democrat Nominee was Woodrow Wilson. We all know how that came out, with Taft and Roosevelt splintering the Republican, progressive and conservative votes, thus insuring the election of Wilson. The 2nd photo is one of Teddy on his way to the Bull Moose Party convention.

beaumonde
Victor III

Re: Show us your records by Famous Historical Figures

Post by beaumonde »

Cute moose!

Could you perhaps post a transfer of this disc, or this side thereof?
Adam

richardh

Post by richardh »

Adam, you read my mind! It would be interesting to hear the contents of this disk.

RJ 8-)

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

Ok, I will try to make the actual speech available on Wednesday. I will check in when it is ready. When Teddy made it to the convention on the back of that bullmoose, I wonder whether he and the other Progressives feasted on Moose filets for Lunch. heh heh

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

I believe I have a Victor recording of a Warren G. Harding speech...I'll check when I finally get home tonight.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

What an outstanding special picture label, I have never seen that one before. Thanks for displaying it. This is 5 years before the abdication I believe.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi,
This is the speech given by Miss Australia Beryl Mills in 1925.
Regards Marcel
Attachments
P4010005.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'd kill for a copy of that one Marcel.
You should upload it to youtube sometime :)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

She certainly ain't no Britney Spears :P

That's really quite an interesting record Marcel. Judging by the low record number & matrix number, I wouldn't be surprized if that was one of the first records to be recorded & pressed at Columbia Lane when it opened in Oct 1926.
No doubt Union Theatre Ltd is what we all know today as Greater Union Theatres, who have multi-plex cinemas everywhere you look.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's an unusual one. It's the Gennett recording of " the great commoner" William Jennings Bryan issued on the Montreal APEX label . Herbert Berliner collected some unusual stuff to issue up here. This is one of them. For example, he also issued some of the Marsh Labs electricals on Apex. They're supposed to be rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth on the Marsh label but I've got a couple on Apex. I don't think the Bryan is particularly uncommon on ANY label :D The odd thing about this side is that we have an American Icon on a uniquely Canadian label in the series that they usually reserved for their Montreal recordings. :D And since it says " the late" on the label I suspect this was issued to capitalize on the publicity around Bryan's death immediately after his participation in the Scopes trial in 1925.
Jim
Attachments
DSC01907.JPG