!An Actual Lost Treasure!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

!An Actual Lost Treasure!

Post by Aaron »

ok so here is an actual lost treasure.... Which one of you has been holding out on us? But more importantly which one of you is going to buy it for me? :lol: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-American-Gr ... dZViewItem

This one almost looks to good to be true...anyone know whose it is?? :?:
I hope someone out there has the money for this one. Its certainly one to be proud of.

Aaron :D

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: !An Actual Lost Treasure!

Post by MordEth »

Aaron,

Nice find. Sorry, but I’m not buying it for you. ;)

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #330319344521

Antique American Graphophone Co. Graphophone Type K

This is a Type K PERFECTED GRAPHOPHONE by the AMERICAN GRAPHOPHONE COMPANY of WASHINGTON, D.C. On the inside of the lid there is a paper label (see photo) with the last patent date being 1894. It is rather large, with the lid on it measures 12 ½" high (not including handle) x 14 ¾" wide x 8 ⅞" deep and it weighs 20 pounds. It has a very nice oak case and appears to be in very good condition. It is missing the horn, crank and I believe the reproducer. Please take a look at my photos, if you know these machines, you can take a visual inventory of completeness better than me. These played cylinder records. The metal plate on the bed of the machine identifies it as a TYPE K (see photo). Because of my lack of knowledge, I am selling it AS IS. This appears to be a well maintained machine and is finely made. High bid pays postage and insurance.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Geeminy Christmas! Is it really possible that a Type "K" could surface from the wild in 2009?? :shock: It even retains its aluminum detachable mandrel... The seller has no reserve on it, either. I think he's in for a very, very, nice surprise!

George P.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

phonogfp wrote:I think he's in for a very, very, nice surprise!
I have the feeling that this is going to go for a rather large sum, considering that it has 6 days and 22 hours to go.

George: Out of curiosity, how rare was this machine?

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

solophoneman
Victor II

Post by solophoneman »

My goodness gracious, what a wonderfully early Columbia Graphophone. What type of horn and reproducer would have originally issued with this machine, or would it have had ear tubes??

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The word "rare" is of course a relative term. To collectors of antique talking machines, any of the Graphophones employing the old A-frame chassis of the treadle models is rare. The most jaded among us would agree that, of the treadle-topped Graphophones, the Type "K" is the most "common." But that's akin to discussing the most "common" form of Gutenburg Bible. Our friend Howard Hazelcorn estimates that there are possibly 15 Type "K" Graphophones in existence. From my observations, he can't be far off - - certainly no more than 20. This example features the early round on/off control and transitional "Perfected Graphophone" decal, too. For a collector like me, it's the best eBay machine in the past several years! :o

This machine used a black gutta percha reproducer (that will be a tough one to find!), and was offered by retailers with various equipment depending on the intended use: 26" black conical horns for exhibition, multiple listening tubes for exhibition, or single listening tubes for business use.

George P.

MordEth
Victor IV

Post by MordEth »

phonogfp wrote:The word "rare" is of course a relative term.
George,

I agree with you on this, but for you to be excited about it turning up on eBay, I figured that it was probably rather uncommon. :D

Thanks for the explanation and estimations of how many are in existence.
phonogfp wrote:This example features the early round on/off control and transitional "Perfected Graphophone" decal, too. For a collector like me, it's the best eBay machine in the past several years! :o
I was rather impressed with the condition of the decal; it seems this machine was well-treated and has aged well.
phonogfp wrote:This machine used a black gutta percha reproducer (that will be a tough one to find!)
Does anyone have an example of what one of these looks like? I’d be curious to see one.

George: Thanks again for the information. (And Aaron, thanks for bringing it to our attention.)

— MordEth

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

phonogfp wrote:The seller has no reserve on it, either. I think he's in for a very, very, nice surprise!

George P.
Hmmm..... I thought there was a reserve on it when i posted it... but indeed the seller will be very very suprised when he finds out how much this will go for...

And Dave indeed if George thinks its an unusually find it certainly is....

I always wanted to start collection earlier columbia (dont shoot me but i like them a bit more then Edison's...sorry Tom) But because of there of there price and scarcity they are not something for a 14 year old (soon to be 15 years old on the 21st... i am still thinking early birthday present) to be collecting.....

Best Regards,
Aaron

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

NICE FIND Aaron. The only bad thing is that you didn't find it yourself at some garage sale locally for $75! Had that been the case I might even have bought it for you!

The chances of a machine like this turning up in such good condition, not already part of a collection are REALLY low as others have noted.

Cheers, Bruce

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

MordEth wrote:
phonogfp wrote:This machine used a black gutta percha reproducer (that will be a tough one to find!)
Does anyone have an example of what one of these looks like? I’d be curious to see one.

— MordEth

Here's a gutta percha reproducer. (This one is mounted on an earlier Type "U" Graphophone - - note the absence of a shaver.) These gutta percha reproducers are constructed in essentially the same manner as the later aluminum ones, but are a bit lighter and don't reproduce with as much volume.

George P.