Phono spotlight rebuild #1 HMV 127

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
b52
Victor Jr

Phono spotlight rebuild #1 HMV 127

Post by b52 »

As I really liked the series of "phono spotlights" I rebuild the ones I made during my short stay at the former board.

MAKER: Gramophone Company / HMV
MODEL: 127
SERIAL #:Will follow later
YEARS:1927-29
ORIGINAL COST:15 GBP in oak, 17 GBP in Mahogany (1927)
CASE/CABINET SIZE:
TURNTABLE/MANDREL SIZE: 12 inches
REPRODUCER/SOUNDBOX:HMV model 4
MOTOR:model 32, 2 spring
HORN DIMENSIONS:
REPO PARTS: None
CURRENT VALUE MINT:?
INTERESTING FACTS:Last in the "classic" series of HMV table grands with 12' turntable and "legs".
FAVORITE CHARACTERISTIC:Beautiful sound

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Phono spotlight rebuild #1 HMV 127

Post by Valecnik »

I had one like this some time back but ended up trading it. It sounded really good especially with early electrics. As I recall the spring was just enough to play one side of a 10inch record with a little to spare but I had to wind it all the way up. Could have been just a weak or previously repaired spring. Not sure that they were all that way. Cheers, Bruce

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

B52,

Over here we're calling them the Featured Phonographs ;) but other than that beautiful! :D Thank you for starting us off once again. With a fantastic machine to boot!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

bart1927
Victor II

Post by bart1927 »

Hi B52, always nice to see a fellow countryman on this wonderful board. Lovely HMV, I`ll add it to my wants list. Maybe next time I visit Tiel? The groove brush is a nice detail, is it original?

Kind regards,

Bart

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

bart1927 wrote:Hi B52, always nice to see a fellow countryman on this wonderful board.
Bart—It’s great that we have users from all over the world, also. In my opinion, this is one of the greatest things about the internet, because it brings people like the two of you together just as it connects people like Shane and all of the collectors on the other side of the world from him, etc.
bart1927 wrote:Lovely HMV...
Yes, it is. And it’s nice to see us open up the Featured Phonograph restart with something new instead of a re-post of something from the ProBoards version of this site.

B52—Welcome to The Talking Machine Forum, it’s great to have you here. I’m definitely impressed with your photographs so far. Would you mind if I were to cut out the first one as a transparency? (Which you could then use as an avatar, or could be donated to the stock avatar gallery).

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Tampa Don
Victor Jr

Post by Tampa Don »

Very nice phonograph! I especially like the advertisement, too. Is that taken from a magazine?

b52
Victor Jr

Post by b52 »

Hi all,
Thank you for all your nice words.I will repost the other Phono eeeh featured Phonograph(Decca 130 portable) later.
gramophoneshane wrote: It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but does your lid have a scoop taken out on the inside of the lid to allow clearance of the soundbox when playing a 12" record with the lid closed?
No there's no scoop out for playing records while the lid is closed.(never tried to do btw)
And yes it's part of the 104-109 family. Can you post a picture of your "bungalow" model?
neophone wrote: Over here we're calling them the Featured Phonographs ;) but other than that beautiful! :D Thank you for starting us off once again. With a fantastic machine to boot!

Regards,
John
Sorry for using the wrong words :oops: ;)
bart wrote:Hi B52, always nice to see a fellow countryman on this wonderful board. Lovely HMV, I`ll add it to my wants list. Maybe next time I visit Tiel? The groove brush is a nice detail, is it original?

Kind regards,

Bart
Hallo Bart! Maybe you don't have to travel toTiel. I'll have another 127 but it's missing it's doors and soundbox...So..Send me a pm if you are interested :)
And the brush is aftermarket.
moreDeth wrote:B52—Welcome to The Talking Machine Forum, it’s great to have you here. I’m definitely impressed with your photographs so far. Would you mind if I were to cut out the first one as a transparency? (Which you could then use as an avatar, or could be donated to the stock avatar gallery).
Please go ahead! I placed these pics as I also like to find nice pictures of lesser known/seen machines.
moreDeth wrote:Yes, it is. And it’s nice to see us open up the Featured Phonograph restart with something new instead of a re-post of something from the ProBoards version of this site.
Eeehm :oops: I think I did not write it clear enough, but I had this gramophone posted (only for a week or so) on the former otvmb

I'm a long time collector of all kinds of gramophones, turntables and of course records.
In my acoustical collection are the following machines: German Electrola (HMV) 101,HMV 102, HMV 127, HMV 192, Electrola 103 (= mechanical/electric hybrid 101/102), Decca 50,Decca 130, Columbia 204 and some more... :)

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

b52 wrote:Please go ahead! I placed these pics as I also like to find nice pictures of lesser known/seen machines.
Eng,

Thank you for sharing them!

(There’s only one ‘E’ in my user name, though. I took it from a [minor] literary character and have been using it since 1991 or 1992, but opted to capitalize the ‘E’ as a tribute to a musician who has influenced me. ;))
b52 wrote:Eeehm :oops: I think I did not write it clear enough, but I had this gramophone posted (only for a week or so) on the former OTVMMB
Ah. I must have missed it.
b52 wrote:I'm a long time collector of all kinds of gramophones, turntables and of course records. In my acoustical collection are the following machines: German Electrola (HMV) 101,HMV 102, HMV 127, HMV 192, Electrola 103 (= mechanical/electric hybrid 101/102), Decca 50, Decca 130, Columbia 204 and some more... :)
I’m sure that there are quite a few of us that would like to see more of the less-than-common machines in the U.S.; I don’t think I’ve ever seen pictures of the Decca machines, and I haven’t seen much of the German machines.

I’ll see what I can do with a cutout once I get caught up on some of the other ones I am planning on getting done; I’ve really enjoyed making avatars for our users.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Here's a few pix of the Bungalow. I just noticed my brake is a semi-auto unlike yours.
This is the 1925 "new" Bungalow. The old 1924 version used a gooseneck tonearm & Exhibition soundbox.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=dH3VJthDCxs

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Another nice shot! And just like b52's in a real nice condition, sweeeeet! :D