Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
USlakeside
Victor III

Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Post by USlakeside »

Anyone out there an avid photo collector? I notice these original pictures on ebay from time to time. For me, they are in a way just as interesting at a real phonograph because you see the settings in which they were used. Seems like a nice vein of the hobby (and way cheaper!)

tonystardis
Victor O

Re: Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Post by tonystardis »

I do collect photos but have not bought any from Ebay.I collect from flea market,garage sales and auction.So far I have only come across one or two teens or 20's european photos of an outside horn machine sitting on the mantle blocked by someone standing in front of it. You would figure something that was such a huge part of life then was photographed so little,I've found way more candlestick phones.
Way cheaper sometimes and you could fit many more in a collection. The right photo may not talk like a real life talking machine but could really speak volumes.

VintageTechnologies
Victor IV

Post by VintageTechnologies »

Family photos with the horn phonographs prominently displayed do exist, but they are very hard to find. Those Kansas farmers were mighty proud of their Edisons! I knew a collector once that had assembled a large photo album full of them. He wanted a fortune for them, so I sadly had to pass. Nor would he consider allowing me to scan the photos.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's one from the around 1920 , I would say, given the phonograph and the electric fixture. It's a post card which reads Sunday is a day of rest: note the pipe. I don't know where it's from but for some reason I just don't think it's Canadian, much as I found it up here. The machine is an off-brander and as you can see it is in fact playing. Even though it's a post card, it was never mailed and hence there's no clue as to where it originated. He's taken off his collar, cozied up by the stove as he smokes what looks like "Prince Albert" in that amazingly Germanic pipe!

Jim
Attachments
IMG_0002.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Although I posted this original photo in the past. It does fit in this thread. Some little boy as sure happy with the new "toy".
1904 Child With Edison Standard.JPG

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

That pyramid of 2 minute cylinders is a little fightening. You wouldn't want to sneeze or you'd have a lot of smashed records on the floor :shock:

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Here's one from the around 1920 , I would say, given the phonograph and the electric fixture. It's a post card which reads Sunday is a day of rest: note the pipe. I don't know where it's from but for some reason I just don't think it's Canadian, much as I found it up here. The machine is an off-brander and as you can see it is in fact playing. Even though it's a post card, it was never mailed and hence there's no clue as to where it originated. He's taken off his collar, cozied up by the stove as he smokes what looks like "Prince Albert" in that amazingly Germanic pipe!

Jim
Whatever he's smoking or listening to, it must be a "hair-raising" experience for him---or is it just a trick of the lighting that he seems to be "electrified"? :o

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's another post card that is indeed Canadian. The machine is a Berliner G ( I think..) sitting on the end of the sewing machine. It doesn't look exactly like an early G but the Berliner cabinets varied in the production runs. The calendar is from a Huntsvillle Ontario merchant. This has to be taken in January or February of 1910,( or later in the teens) from what I can see of the calendar date. It just might be his machine. By 1910 or '11 that model would be just obsolete enough that it could be given to a kid. Too bad the boy moved.

Jim
Attachments
IMG.jpg

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

gramophone78 wrote:Although I posted this original photo in the past. It does fit in this thread. Some little boy as sure happy with the new "toy".
Great photo, and with a little adjusting... Voila!
little lord.2.jpg
little lord.2.jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 4501 times
James.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Roaring20s wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:Although I posted this original photo in the past. It does fit in this thread. Some little boy as sure happy with the new "toy".
Great photo, and with a little adjusting... Voila!
James.
That's great! Ha, the cylinder box the lad is holding looks just like a beer can - how inappropriate!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?