Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Period Pictures of Phonographs?

Post by phonogfp »

rodpickett wrote:WOW! I'm not familiar with a Keller. Do you have more information Rene?
During the North American Phonograph Company period, that coin-op was probably the most successful, and it utilized a Class M mechanism. It was designed by Albert Keller, who filed a U.S. patent on its mechanism in 1891.

George P.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Those are great images. I have to say I'm most fascinated by the Cygnet Heaven music store. That pic has to be from 1911 or early 12: that is to say just before the Blue Amberol.
Jim

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Here is a photo of a Keller coin-op as it appeared in the fantastic collection of the late Dave Heitz in 2003. I have no idea which lucky collector owns it today, after the Heitz collection was sold in 2004.
Attachments
keller.jpg

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

phonogfp wrote:
rodpickett wrote:WOW! I'm not familiar with a Keller. Do you have more information Rene?
During the North American Phonograph Company period, that coin-op was probably the most successful, and it utilized a Class M mechanism. It was designed by Albert Keller, who filed a U.S. patent on its mechanism in 1891.

George P.
The patents for the mechanics show 1894. Here is an original Class M that was once in a Keller. Note the oak base with locks under the case, extended carriage arm with contactor plate on it, and a part of the plunger mechanism separate from the machine. The carriage extender and other part can be seen on the patent drawing.

In front of the oak base is a hole for a square key. If you turn the square rod in the hole, 2 securing rods protrude on each side of the base thus locking the base in the cabinet.

Sorry about the ugly dude in the mirror!
Attachments
Class M K2.jpg
Class M K.jpg
Plunge.jpg
Keller Patent Drawing.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Andersun wrote:
The patents for the mechanics show 1894.
The patents were granted in 1894, but filed on January 31, February 14, and March 10, 1891.

George P.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Has anyone ever noticed that some period photographs, especially of the phonograph stores in general, also show bicycles? I wonder if bicycle and/or phonograph shops joined forces during the early 1900's ???? I don't see the connection at all. I guess they were both forms of entertainment - but bicycles and phonographs?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I don't know why you see bicycles and talking machines in the same store photos but before the automobile was established, the bicycle was a viable means of transportation. Most bicycle photos show adults not children next to their bikes. I believe the first push for good roads was promoted by bicycle clubs. Jerry

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Bicycle - phonograph sales in one place makes sense. To be a successful bicycle salesman you had to be very mechanically inclined and have tools on hand to repair your customer's bikes. As many of us understand those same skills would be required to tune and repair the early phonographs for their customers.

Just ask the Wright Brothers how bicycle repair skills helped in the early flying business.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Bicycles and talking machines were also seasonally complimentary. Talking machine sales picked up in the fall (in the Northern hemisphere), spiked just before Christmas, and record sales remained strong as long as people were confined indoors through the spring. As the weather warmed, bicycle sales increased, and continued throughout the summer. A shop could stay busy all year.

Do our friends below the equator find similar photos of shops selling bicycles and talking machines? It seems like the same advantages would hold true - just reversing the fall and spring.

George P.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here we have some crew members of HMS Hindustan, a battleship of the Royal Navy, posing with a gramophone which appears to have led a hard life.

Launched in 1903, the ship was quickly made obsolete by the new Dreadnought class battleships of 1906 onwards. As a result, she had a relatively short life, being decommissioned in 1918 and scrapped in 1921.
Attachments
631004146_o[1].jpg
hms_hindustan_a[1].jpg