This must qualify as one of the ugliest ever!

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

This must qualify as one of the ugliest ever!

Post by marcapra »

Have you ever seen an Operatone phonograph. What was the designer thinking?

Here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-H-A-SAG ... 1500451%26

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: This must qualify as one of the ugliest ever!

Post by De Soto Frank »

"What was the designer thinking?"

Probably first and foremost: "Hide that damned horn". Secondly, "Don't infringe on anyone's patents!" ;)

Not quite the ugliest ever for me... there's a gothic art-model Columbia Grafonola that's been on the bay for a while... with a BIN of around $19,000. :shock:

This one is different enough to be intriguing... I don't about "four-figures intriguing", but cleaned-up, and with decent grille cloth, it would make a nice addition to a serious collection...

I wonder how well it plays ?
De Soto Frank

Torjazzer
Victor II

Post by Torjazzer »

Ugly? I think not :lol: I would love to have this in my living room, after the necessary cleaning and repairs. It does lack the traditional appeal of other period phonographs but its outlandishness more than makes up for that. Quite the conversation piece, I'd say. However, the ad has been taken down. Hope it goes to a good home. I've taken some screen grabs for preservation.
Attachments
opera5.jpg
opera5.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
opera3.jpg
opera3.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 2757 times
opera1.jpg
opera1.jpg (36.17 KiB) Viewed 2757 times

Le0
Victor II
Personal Text: avid 22 years old collector

Post by Le0 »

if you think it's the ugliest you probably haven't seen this poor Amberola 30. :lol:
amberola30.JPG
Machines I own: Edison Standard A, suitcase Home, Home A, Triumph A & B, Columbia type BS, Standard Model A, Victor E, IV & V, Pathéphone No.4

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

This wouldn’t be my first choice of phonograph, but I don’t consider it ugly. It’s very unique, I like it! :D
-Mike

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

I kind of like it too, something you don't see everywhere and imaginative. If I had room for it in my condo and in my budget, I would love to have it.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

I was at a farm auction back east earlier this summer and I saw a pile of Amberola parts, which make this look good, go for $ 325!

All I could do was stare at the bidders in utter amazement. Fortunately I did not recognize them from any phono clubs or shows.