Featured Phonograph no. 97 - Edison A250

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Featured Phonograph no. 97 - Edison A250

Post by Valecnik »

Model: A250
Serial # SM 3889
Year(s) Made: Late 1912 - 1914
Original Cost: $250
Case/Cabinet Size: 51 ½" high x 21 ½" wide x 23" deep
Turntable/Mandrel: 12"
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Edison Standard Disc
Motor: Double Spring A250
Horn Dimensions: 17 ½" x 12"
Reproduction Parts: none
Current Value:
Interesting Facts: The efforts of several TMF members were involved in getting this one to me and in running condition.
Favorite Characteristics: The clean original condition and matching serial numbers
IMG_9313.jpg
IMG_9317.jpg
IMG_9320.jpg
IMG_9323.jpg
IMG_9326.jpg
IMG_9331.JPG
IMG_9332.JPG
IMG_9344.JPG
Make: Edison
Last edited by Valecnik on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:10 am, edited 4 times in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: Featured Phonograph no. 97 - Edison A250

Post by Valecnik »

IMG_9362.JPG
IMG_9370.JPG
IMG_9366.JPG
IMG_9356.JPG
IMG_9353.jpg
Last edited by Valecnik on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph no. 96 - Edison A250

Post by gramophone78 »

Very sweet Bruce. Now that's coming from a non-Edison collector. So, that must tell you something.... ;) :). By the way........your Wife knows you used her good sheets for this "photo shoot"......right???...... :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Great to read that members of the forum were instrumental in you getting this machine.
Well done.
Last edited by gramophone78 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

What an elegant machine. I have never seen a nicer oak example. Jerry Blais

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

gramophone78 wrote:Very sweet Bruce. Now that's coming from a non-Edison collector. So, that must tell you something.... ;) :). By the way........your Wife knows you used her good sheets for this "photo shoot"......right???...... :lol: :lol: :lol:.

Great to read that members of the forum were instrumental in you getting this machine.
Well done.
One forum member, jharrellh, told about this being in an antique shop in Indiana. He gave me the contact info for the dealer. JerryB hauled it from Indiana to Union. Phonocookie helped me replace the one broken spring, the scariest experience in my life!

Regarding the sheets, I keep a couple sets just for this purpose. After the first photo shoot my wife refused to put them back on the bed. :monkey:
Last edited by Valecnik on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Jerry B. wrote:What an elegant machine. I have never seen a nicer oak example. Jerry Blais
It didn't look nearly that good when you brought it to me Jerry. It took one heck of a cleaning but came out very well.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Beautiful machine, and wonderful detailed pictures! Thanks!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

That's one beautiful machine. I have an early mahogany one and have been looking for a oak one for a long time. Thanks for posting the pictures. The close up of the painted horn is very helpful since I'm getting ready to woodgrain one myself.
Dave Jolley

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Discman wrote:That's one beautiful machine. I have an early mahogany one and have been looking for a oak one for a long time. Thanks for posting the pictures. The close up of the painted horn is very helpful since I'm getting ready to woodgrain one myself.
Dave Jolley
Dave, Thanks very much. If you are wood graining a mahogany one, on the link below are some pictures of my mahogany 250 including a close up of the horn which may be helpful. I think woodgraining a mahogany one would be easier than doing oak.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=4386
Last edited by Valecnik on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Beautiful A-250, Bruce. The paint on the bedplate is in unusually nice condition. Congratulations!

George P.