Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Aaron
Victor II

Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Post by Aaron »

Ok, so I remember how much fun it was to show off Berlin Discs, well for those who could show the off, :( so I thought the topic would apply to most all of us and not just the "Privilege" few. :D

I think for this topic we should focus on anything older than a gold Moulded Cylinder. Cylinders such as: Early North Americans (Both Channel Rimed and Not (has anyone ever seen one with its label?) :?: ), Early Columbia's (I'd like to see one with a paper label on it), Early Edison's (I'd like to see one with a string core), and yes George we would all like to see a Bell-Tainter ozocerite-coat paper core. ;) Along with anything earlier you or anyone may have. :shock:

Also I think it would be really cool if we had any audio files of the cylinders. The record title, number, and performer would be nice if possible.

As we go along I'll add all the information here on my first post so it can be easily observed.

I have a whole bunch ill post tomorrow, but I thought I put this up tonight so every one KNOWS what their going to do tomorrow! ;) :lol:

Lets Have At It!
Aaron

P.S. I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Music section, but I figured it would get more traffic here. We can later move the audio files to the music section and the whole topic to the Archive section.

The List

MakerSizeTitle and/or NumberPerformerOwner
Excelsior-GloriaConcert------Starkton
MultipleStandard------Brad
UnknownStandardHome Recordings (11)---Edisonfan
EdisonStandardMarch From "Foxy Quiller" #7805Peerless OrchestraLenoirstreetguy
Columbia Washington, DC.StandardLead Kindly LightBandWDC
UnknownStandardHome Recordings (4)UnknownAaron
EdisonStandardFrench Language Records (2)UnknownAaron
ColumbiaStandardThe Camp Meeting JubileeQuartetAaron
ColumbiaStandardThe Lord's Prayer And Gloria PatriaQuartetAaron
PathéStandard8757UnknownGramophoneShane
PathéStandard8092UnknownGramophoneShane
Unknown EuropeanStandardO'SalutarisUnknownAaron
Unknown EuropeanStandardLe Sabre De ColonelUnknownAaron
Unknown EuropeanStandardGoutte de Rosee (Drop of Dew)UnknownAaron
Unknown EuropeanStandardUnknownUnknownAaron
International Phonograph CompanyStandardPapa, MamaRheinländer (Orchestra)WDC
North American Phonograph CompanyStandardno. 191: Battery B MarchFifth Regiment BandWDC
Last edited by MordEth on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Corrected French title and included translation, per Aaron’s request

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Show Us Your Early Cylinder!

Post by gramophoneshane »

Good idea Aaron. I'd also like to see the Form numbers listed from the Edison boxes as they're posted if they exist.
Unfortunately I dont have any pre-gold moulded cylinders. I dont think they were all that common out here until Edison opened a place in Sydney during the GM period :(

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Excelsior-Gloria-Concert-Cylinders (1900-1901)

In August 1900, at the Leipzig Autumn Fair, Excelsiorwerk, Fabrik für Feinmechanik, G. m. b. H., in Cologne, introduced concert size cylinders
in Germany. The trade press was completely stunned about Excelsior-Gloria-Phonographs, which reproduced singing pieces marvelously.
It was assumed that large size cylinders would sweep away the just upcoming cheap, "trashy" Pucks and its "wimpy" cylinders.
Artist: "Bariton" (Unnamed)
Title: "Lied aus Traviata. Hat dein heimatliches Land"
Number: 588

Last edited by Starkton on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Here is a group of brown wax cylinders I aquired with the cylinder cabinet. I have not listened to any of them so I have no idea what I have here. Once I rebuild my Automatic I'll play them.

There are little, if any, identifying marks. Is there a good discography for brown wax cylinders?
Attachments
Brown wax potpourri
Brown wax potpourri
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

WOW Brad, you have quit a selection.... sorry i didnt post mine today....i was out all day...

Aaron

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Brad wrote:There are little, if any, identifying marks. Is there a good discography for brown wax cylinders?
Oh and to answer you question about a discography, the only LARGE selection that could possibly be obtain would be here: http://www.tinfoil.com/ if you want Brad, why not send your cylinders to Glenn to be transferred and cataloged :?: If have been pondering the idea, but like Norman, i have been doing a little research as to digitizing cylinders. I hope to have a working machine soon!

Aaron

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Starkton wrote:Excelsior-Gloria-Phonographs, which reproduced singing pieces marvelously.
Starkton,

Would you happen to have images these machines that you could post? I cannot say that I’ve ever seen one, and my search attempts were less than fruitful.

I did realize, however, that I should show Norman how to achieve the effect of frames without using frames, because while his site was the second result for “Excelsior-Gloria-Phonographs”, that result redirects to his main page, which makes it more difficult to go to the desired content.

And it was hitting on:
Other labels existed in a huge variety in Europe beside Edison Columbia. Germany's most active cylinder brands were Gloria and Excelsior while England most widely spread with Edison-Bell and Sterling Records. France, however features Europe's largest phonograph company, the Pathé Fréres which stepped out of cylinder business as early as 1906 - after only 10 years.
...no images of the machines you mentioned. :cry:

However, searching for “Excelsior-Phonographs” (quoted) does return this page on the Excelsior Pearl with a couple of artifact-riddled JPEG images.

Were there Excelsior-Phonographs other than the Pearl?

Thanks again for sharing the cylinder photo.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've seen 2 or 3 different Excelsior machines, but the "pearl" wasn't one of them. I think this is the first Excelsior I've seen with 2/4 min gearing.
The other models I've seen were all loosely based on Columbia models. They have all been painted black, with red & gold pinstripes, and have had the EWC decal instead of the name Excelsior.
I'm guessing the Gloria was probably designed after a Columbia too, but wonder if it played Concert cylinders only or had a inter-changable mandrel for Standards as well?

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Okay, here are my brown wax cylinders. Complete with hand written tittles, in a nice wooden box. I did play one, but since I do not have the right reproducer, I did not play them all. For fear of damageing them.

Paul
Attachments
th_dcp_0002[1].jpg
th_dcp_0002[1].jpg (4.48 KiB) Viewed 3425 times

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Here's my lone brown wax and it's a late one. The only thing is it's got all it's goodies: box, record slip, cotton wrapping and lid. It's mint. It's also cracked but ya can't have everything. I've played part of it once...and it sounded pretty good, but as you can see it's late: it has to be 1901 I would guess. Anyone know ?
Attachments
DSC02371.JPG
DSC02370.JPG