The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Columbia, index/list of USA/UK/DE/Japan made portables
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 am 
Victor V
I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.
I have a 202 with a polished wood motor board & red plush turntable, No. 9 soundbox. It still has a serial number inside it on a paper tag.

(My only Orthophonic-style machine--that thing sounds great!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:56 pm 
Victor III
Keep winding up
Thank you Gramophile for adding another good reference to the Columbia list.

VanEpsFan, you also have a 202 with a polished motor board, similar to the one I posted photos in this thread a few weeks ago?
If so, we are at least two who have the 202 with this motor board.

Update: I have another photo of a Columbia 202 to my previous post in this thread. I thought it could be a good thing to show the 3 different Columbia 202 versions ( are there more versions?) on close up photos. I know quite a few forum members already have this third version with rexin clothed motor board, and winding key at the side of the gramophone. I bought this black 102 yesterday, and will collect it tomorrow. Unfortunately it does not have the record album attached, but the owner is still looking it, so there is still a chance it may appear. I bought the machine to complete the 102 versions in my collection, and also because the copy is in very good shape.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:57 pm 
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
I have a 202 with a polished wood motor board & red plush turntable, No. 9 soundbox. It still has a serial number inside it on a paper tag.

(My only Orthophonic-style machine--that thing sounds great!)

Another one has just appeared on UK eBay. The seller thinks it is Victorian :lol: :lol: :lol:. Both the price and the postage are ridiculous.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Vict ... 1438.l2649

Attachments:
202.jpg
202.jpg [ 255.91 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:41 pm 
Victor III
Keep winding up
I could not find any photos of the Columbia model 113 in this thread, even the model is covered in this thread from august 2019, where Roger (epigramophone) was fortunate and happy to find this gramophone: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41584&hilit=columbia+113
(I know Barry ( phono48), also have this machine, he tells about his machine in the same thread linked to above here)

Since the story of this machine is covered in the thead link given, I will not repeat this writing, but just add my photos to this Columbia index list to make this thread more complete. I was myself very fortunate to find this machine some days ago, at the same price that Roger paid last autumn. My machine has some scars on the polished wooden interior panel as we can see on the photos, most probably from some careless lowering of the lid with the soundbox in upright position. I will carefully try to colour match the damaged areas that with spirit wood stain, touched in with varnish or French polish ( Thank you for the advice, Roger!) Apart from these scars, the machine looks great, and the machine runs when it is winded. This is not a machine I would mess much with, so all (necessary) steps in refurbishing it will be made in small steps.

Happily and most importantly, we can add another surviving copy of Columbia 113 to the list :D

PS. Did I mention the machine is really HEAVY :o

Attachments:
Columbia 113.jpg
Columbia 113.jpg [ 542.09 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]
Columbia 113 (1).jpg
Columbia 113 (1).jpg [ 291.5 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]
Columbia 113 (2).jpg
Columbia 113 (2).jpg [ 389.59 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]
Columbia 113 (3).jpg
Columbia 113 (3).jpg [ 696.83 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]
Columbia 113 (4).jpg
Columbia 113 (4).jpg [ 796.77 KiB | Viewed 81 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8