Genola question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

Genola question

Post by jboger »

I recently bought at auction a Genola toy phonograph, not running. I want to pull the motor out. This requires that I get the turntable off. There lies my problem. The spindle top screws off--no problem. I think the turntable is a friction fit, such that I should be able to pull it off. It doesn't want to budge. Before I apply more force, I thought I'd check with the Froum to see if anyone has serviced one of these machines. Is that turntable in fact a friction fit? Any suggestions or cautions before I proceed?

Here are some pictures:
Attachments
IMG_4789.jpg
IMG_4788.jpg
IMG_4787.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Genola question

Post by JerryVan »

It shouldn't be a friction, or press, fit. It's probably just corrosion. Try putting a couple drops of penetrating oil, (not WD-40), where you removed the spindle top screw, (not down the threaded hole, but where the shaft and turntable meet). Let it soak in for a while, then put the screw back in, but do not thread it all the way down. Leave it backed off a turn or two. While supporting the turntable edges, tap on the spindle screw with a rawhide mallet or wooden hammer. Just several sharp "raps". Don't go nuts or you may bend the screw. This should help to break the turntable loose. Notice if after a few taps, the gap under the spindle screw has closed up due to the shaft being driven down.

P.S. You'll probably get some oil on the felt... :(

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

JerryVan:

I shall give that a try . . .

John

PS: Thanks!

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Brilliant! Profound! I will remember this. The idea is to back the spindle stop screw off a bit so's when you give it a tap, you're driving the spindle down independent of the turntable. Here's a picture.

Thanks, JerryVan. You're my hero.

John
Attachments
IMG_4790.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

jboger wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:18 pm Brilliant! Profound! I will remember this. The idea is to back the spindle stop screw off a bit so's when you give it a tap, you're driving the spindle down independent of the turntable. Here's a picture.

Thanks, JerryVan. You're my hero.

John
Great news! Happy to help. Not every day I get to be a "hero"! :D

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I've dismantled the motor. Everything was coated with a thick layer of very viscous grease, for example here:
IMG_4816.jpg
The mainspring seems fine (I haven't opened the barrel). I think the grease was no longer acting as a lubricant but a deterrent. It has since been cleaned off. After cleaning one of the wheels, I found a trademark stamped into the wheel:
IMG_4819.jpg
I have high hopes with a good cleaning this machine will once again do what it was designed to do, make music.

John

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I think at least you'd better open the barrel to see how is the grease in the spring. You could find it nice, or you could find a black thick cake that prevents a smooth sliding of the spring, actually detracting a lot from the spring power.
Inigo