Dictaphone Model 12: Help with mandrel

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
adolfinh
Victor Jr

Dictaphone Model 12: Help with mandrel

Post by adolfinh »

Hello dear friends. I am in dire need of your help. I recently acquired a dictaphone model 12 type B. for some reason that I do not remember at the moment, I unscrewed the screws on the mandrel which keep the spring-loaded cylinder holders in place. now I need to take out the mandrel in order to put them back in place and put the screws back. but the problem I am facing is that I can not figure out how to take the mandrel out???
any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Dictaphone Model 12: Help with mandrel

Post by gramophoneshane »

About 35 yrs ago I bought a Rusty Ruined model 12 dictaphone, although I can't recall now if it was a type B or not.
I think it was $5, and I really only bought it to get the headphones and volume control that were with it.
A couple years later, I removed the mandrel so I could use it as a reamer for my blue Amberols.
Again, I can't recall how I got it out now, but I do remember doing exactly what you did regarding the spring loaded strips in the mandrel, and thinking I probably shouldn't have done that lol.

I don't know if the picture below will be of any help, but I thought perhaps it might give you a better idea of where the mandrel shaft should be attached.
The end of the shaft is threaded so there must have been some sort of nut or something screwed onto it there.
Then there's a slot that goes all the way through the shaft, and about 5mm past this slot is a small hole drilled into the shaft, but it's only about 2-3 mm deep, and it doesn't appear to be threaded, so I guess it was used to anker whatever collar or pulley is attached there. It was just way too long ago for me to remember now :-)

With any luck someone who has worked on one of these more recently will chime in with a bit more accurate info than I can provide.

Good luck with the restoration!
Attachments
IMG_20200308_121836.jpg

JeffHowe
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jeff

Post by JeffHowe »

Hi.

I have just acquired 4 Dictaphones and 1 Edison shaver for next to nothing (am in the UK).

And I have done the exact same bl**dy thing!

The above picture is really helpful and confirms what I thought - the mandrel is held in by a nut on the far left end. I am making a tool (best I can!) which comprises a flat bar with 2 x 2mm (1/16) screws in it to unwind the nut. The problem will be that the nut has been in there for a century-plus! I will lock the mandrel using a leather belt and apply some heat to the nut end and hope!

I didn't want to take it apart that far - I am slowly cleaning each bit ready for oiling and refitting, so at least if I can extract it I will be able to clean in the mandrel housing.

I will let you know how I get on!
Attachments
IMG-8831.jpg

mindbum
Victor Jr

Post by mindbum »

howdy doctor,

any progress?

i have reached the same point in my attempt to replace the pulley on my similar vintage dictaphone.

and yes, the rheostat is the object in yr hand in the other related post. i have used my dictaphone shaving machine w/ a similar rheostat with no problem. chuck is right on that point. clean it a bit. its a useful component.

i'd love to see yr tool, or progress.

or someone else's knowledge of this situation.

thanks muchly,
aaron

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

The flywheel two pin end nut will not come undone until you release it by unscrewing the screw pointed out by green arrow.
The red arrow screw holds a pin that also needs to be removed.
Be careful when releasing the mandrel as there is a metal post slotted in the slot in the mandrel inner bar.
I took loads of pictures when dismantling and without them I'd have been lost.
Attachments
remove-mandrel4.jpg