Did early Victrolas use a different cabinet key?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oliver
Victor I

Did early Victrolas use a different cabinet key?

Post by oliver »

Hi everyone,

Please forgive my ignorance but did early Victrolas use a different cabinet key?

This is perplexing me because I own an early table top VV-X (S/N 2470 dating it to 1910) that doesn't have its original key. Other Victrola keys don't work on it. It seems that the part of the lock that goes into the hollow key barrel is too thick and as a result common Victrola keys don't fit.

Am I correct in saying early models used a different key? I can live without the key but am curious.

Thank you.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Did early Victrolas use a different cabinet key?

Post by OrthoFan »

Don't know if this will help you, but I spotted this from https://oldcrank.com/articles/keys/keys.html :
Victor Keys.jpg
(Click to Enlarge)

OrthoFan

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Great info! Thank you for posting. My appetite for the right key is being stimulated.

MarkELynch
Victor II

Post by MarkELynch »

Thanks for listing your Victrola model and the serial number.

According to the Victor parts listing the common key Part Number 1465WN is specified for your serial number. The WN suffix refers to the white nickel finish as contrasted with GP for gold plated. The specs are the same other than the finish.

Here are the dimensions. If you have 20¢ and a WayBack machine you could go pick one up from your dealer.

Mark
E70751ED-B1E7-4BDB-BD54-F8828E660C56.jpeg
5BD8F4E4-F652-43F0-87A2-133085131EDE.jpeg

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Thank you for the useful info; I appreciate it. The mystery deepens as I've tried 3 common Victrola keys and none worked/fit. Will try again with the lock out and well lubed. It will be good news if it needs a common key. Thanks.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Well I figured it out. At first, I was really hesitant to take the lock out as I don't like removing screws from such old wood but I just did it. It turns out the lock screws were loose. Then upon pulling the lock out, it became obvious that someone messed with it in the past as it is broken and incomplete. I am pretty sure a common key would fit otherwise. Disappointing, but mystery solved.

Thank you again to members who contributed to this thread.

Oliver

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

You might check with George Vollema www.victroladoctor.com or www.thephonographshop.com to see if they might have a working Victrola lock to replace your broken one.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I might have a replacement lock mechanism. Can you email me a picture? It should take the standard V key.

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Thank you Ken. I will send pics over the weekend. I know I have a couple of locks somewhere but can't remember whether they were Victor of Columbia. I'm going to look for those first and keep you posted.

Thanks to you, 3 of my machines are now 100% complete with the correct hardware. Many thanks for all your help!!!

oliver
Victor I

Post by oliver »

Here's a view of the early VV-X. It could use cosmetics but I'm not interested in restoring it; I just want to preserve it.
You may be able to spot the very tiny tone arm base screws...
Attachments
VV X2.jpg
VV X.jpg