Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph C-200 Questions ???

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edison__DISCMAN4496
Victor Jr

Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph C-200 Questions ???

Post by Edison__DISCMAN4496 »

Hello all,

I recently got an Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph and I have two questions about it. I've read extensively on my C-200 model. First question:I just wanted to know the year of my Edison phonograph? I figured out the range of years of when the model was produced. I found it to be from 1915 to 1919. My serial number is SM 9043. I'm estimating it to be 1918 or 1919. Second Question:What kind of key can I use on it? I believe it's one of the dolphin keys. Please show a picture of the key I need. Just want those two questions answered, and I'll be grateful!
Thanks to anyone who helps,

Mr. E.H.

Victor VI

Re: Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph C-200 Questions ???

Post by 52089 »

You're correct about the years the C-200 "Adam" was produced. AFAIK, there is no index of serial numbers and production years available, so you probably won't ever know exactly when your machine is from. Frow's "Edison Disc Phonographs" book (pp 110-111) says 3620 were sold the first year, and then sales slowed, so your guess at 1918 or 19 is probably a good one. This is one of the less common models, but it's not a high demand item.

As far as keys go, the dolphin key is probably not correct for this model. The "E" key seems more likely. You can see the Edison keys (and others)on this site:
http://www.oldcrank.com/articles/keys/keys.html

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

52089 wrote:You're correct about the years the C-200 "Adam" was produced. AFAIK, there is no index of serial numbers and production years available, so you probably won't ever know exactly when your machine is from. Frow's "Edison Disc Phonographs" book (pp 110-111) says 3620 were sold the first year, and then sales slowed, so your guess at 1918 or 19 is probably a good one. This is one of the less common models, but it's not a high demand item.

As far as keys go, the dolphin key is probably not correct for this model. The "E" key seems more likely. You can see the Edison keys (and others)on this site:
http://www.oldcrank.com/articles/keys/keys.html
I agree. I think it's commonly thought that the Dolphin Key was an "earlier" type used, I've seen them in A and B 250s as well as early C 250s. I don't know about the other models.

Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

fran604g wrote: I agree. I think it's commonly thought that the Dolphin Key was an "earlier" type used, I've seen them in A and B 250s as well as early C 250s. I don't know about the other models.

Fran
I will concur that the dolphin key is earlier, as it was definitely used on the Amberola 1A, which predates the entire Diamond Disk line.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure my "E" key came to me on a C-19.

Edison__DISCMAN4496
Victor Jr

Thank you all, for the information. One more question: Is there other place to buy this Edison E Key? On eBay, I found one for about $90. I'm not spending that much on a key.

Thanks again if anyone can answer that as well!

Mr. E.H.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Perhaps if you post a "wanted" ad in our Yankee Trader section you'll find one.

You might also try any of the various phonographs shows and/or parts suppliers.

Edison__DISCMAN4496
Victor Jr

Thank you! I will do so...

E.H.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

My C200..from small town Ontario... came with neither the Dolphin key nor an E key. It has a small plain rather generic key. Since the machine had had essentially one owner before I got it I tend to believe that the key is original. This is not to say that the other keys aren't appropriate, but I'm adding this a grist for your mill. :D

Jim

Edison__DISCMAN4496
Victor Jr

Ok, well ...That's good to know. Thanks for the input Jim! I'm still looking for a key though. :| Anyway, I'm happy I found out more info.

Cheers to Edison!

Mr. E.H.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

I don't know if this will help you, but there are some slight variances between the Edison keys I own, and I'm sure this is just the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak.

As far as I know, all of the Edison Disc Phonographs that had cabinets with lock-sets left the factory with an Edison key of one of their proprietary styles. I know this from examining several factory shipping slips (see the H 19 example I've included below), and they all list a key with the contents of the unit for shipping. I find it difficult to believe that a generic key would have been supplied from the factory because of this evidence.

It doesn't mean that generic replacements weren't sold by dealers, I'm sure there were plenty of suppliers vying for business as with all other accessories, and if an owner lost a key, I'm sure they wouldn't have had a difficult time finding a replacement.

Here are three different keys that I have referenced used with four different Chippendales I own, just to give you an idea of what you might want to note when looking for a key. I discovered that the inside diameter of one "E" key was much larger than the others, and this indeed correlates to a larger diameter pin in the record storage door lock-set of the very late C 19 I own.

Best,
Fran
3 observed Edison keys (Large).JPG
DSC03451 (Large).JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.