Featured Phonograph No.134 - Victor Victrola VV-XII

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Featured Phonograph No.134 - Victor Victrola VV-XII

Post by Lucius1958 »

I am curious what the rationale was behind the XII's design. The table model XI was exactly contemporary, was it not? It must have used the same (or similar) motor; yet it has a larger horn opening... :?

Bill

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

I really like these machines. I have had a mahogany one without the decoration at the top for many years. I think the decoration really sets the look off though and I love it in oak too. What a really nice machine you have for yourself.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I agree with the earlier comments! The XII is an interesting machine, limited production (about 18 months), and known in three variations. Of those three, the oak version is the hardest to find. I've seen only 3 or 4 over the years. Years ago I was wondering if these were a special run made for Lyon & Healy in Chicago. I still don't know for sure.

Your oak example looks beautiful - congratulations!

I too have been surprised at how well these machines play with such tiny horns.

Here's the earliest version of the XII. After about six month's production, the frieze was added.

George P.
XII.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

phonogfp wrote:I agree with the earlier comments! The XII is an interesting machine, limited production (about 18 months), and known in three variations. Of those three, the oak version is the hardest to find. I've seen only 3 or 4 over the years. Years ago I was wondering if these were a special run made for Lyon & Healy in Chicago. I still don't know for sure.

Your oak example looks beautiful - congratulations!

I too have been surprised at how well these machines play with such tiny horns.

Here's the earliest version of the XII. After about six month's production, the frieze was added.

George P.
XII.JPG
I have the twin to George's XII. I am also impressed by the volume and the tone as well. The later machines are probably better looking, but the the odd look of the early XII was the feature that drew me to it. It is a bit bland, but that is part of it's distinction. I find quirks to be more endearing than perfection.

DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Post by DGPros »

Love the Oak myself, but had to settle on the Mahogany with matching cabinet. This is in the last 4-500 made I believe. I too was surprised how good it actually sounds.
Attachments
2018-03-07 11.56.24.jpg
2018-03-07 11.56.11.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Django wrote: I find quirks to be more endearing than perfection.
Too bad we don't live closer - - we'd probably get along well! ;)

George P.

rvwenger
Victor I

Post by rvwenger »

Picked up my VV-XII today. It is in amazing shape and ready for a good cleaning and motor / reproducer rebuild. This came from an estate in which the family was clearing out all of dads stuff. They were just happy to have it gone. Came with a nice pile of record which I need to sort out.
Attachments
IMG_0626.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0622.JPG

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Lucius1958 wrote:I am curious what the rationale was behind the XII's design. The table model XI was exactly contemporary, was it not? It must have used the same (or similar) motor; yet it has a larger horn opening... :?

Bill
I don’t know about the XI, but the early X table top has the motor sitting in the middle of the horn, so the horn opening is larger, but it is obstructed by the motor and the motor noise is not isolated within the enclosure. The Table top X still sounds good and has good volume.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

DGPros wrote:Love the Oak myself, but had to settle on the Mahogany with matching cabinet. This is in the last 4-500 made I believe. I too was surprised how good it actually sounds.
You call that settling?

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

rvwenger wrote:Picked up my VV-XII today. It is in amazing shape and ready for a good cleaning and motor / reproducer rebuild. This came from an estate in which the family was clearing out all of dads stuff. They were just happy to have it gone. Came with a nice pile of record which I need to sort out.
Any history to go with it?