What do you think of the music of Guy Lombardo?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

What do you think of the music of Guy Lombardo?

Post by russmovaz »

I used to believe that his music was all easy-listening crap, but I listened to a few of his pieces with the Royal Canadians on YouTube and think it is fairly good music. Nothing to go out of your way to hear, but pleasant and a lot better than some of the other big bands.

I rank Guy Lombardo and His Royal Canadians above these band leaders:

Swing and Sway with Sammy Kaye
Xavier Cugat
Les Brown
Russell DeAnna

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: What do you think of the music of Guy Lombardo?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Some of the Lombardo 1920s Columbia Viva Tonal sides are actually quite hot. "The Cannonball", "I'm More Than Satisfied", "Waitin' For Katy" and "Under The Moon" come to mind.

The earlier Gennett sides are hot too, but almost impossible to find. They did a Vocalion disc as Louisville Rhythm Kings "Mississippi Mud" (the flip side title escapes me) that is also hot.

Not a lot of people know that Louis Armstrong was a huge Lombardo fan (and vice versa). You can hear the Lombardo influence on a lot of the "New Sebastian" orchestra sides on OKeh.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

gramophone-georg wrote:Some of the Lombardo 1920s Columbia Viva Tonal sides are actually quite hot. "The Cannonball", "I'm More Than Satisfied", "Waitin' For Katy" and "Under The Moon" come to mind.

The earlier Gennett sides are hot too, but almost impossible to find. They did a Vocalion disc as Louisville Rhythm Kings "Mississippi Mud" (the flip side title escapes me) that is also hot.

Not a lot of people know that Louis Armstrong was a huge Lombardo fan (and vice versa). You can hear the Lombardo influence on a lot of the "New Sebastian" orchestra sides on OKeh.
I agree with the above- the older the better. Some of his Orthophonic sides can be very nice, like the novelty "The Broken Record" (I love you/I Love you/I love you). Eventually he moved to "The Sweetest Music This Side Of Heaven" and became musically much less interesting.
Last edited by estott on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

Auld Lang Syne makes me cry like a small child, those dang weepy saxes get me every time.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

Post by russmovaz »

gramophone-georg wrote: I agree with the above- the older the better. Some of his Orthophonic sides can be very nice, like the novelty "The Broken Record" (I love you/I you/ I love you). Eventually he moved to "The Sweetest Music This Side Of Heaven" and became musically much less interesting.
I was viewing Lombardo on Youtube from what looks like the late 1950s. Pretty fair band playing and solos and good male singers.

Singers not as good as Dick Haymes or Buddy Clark, however.
Russell DeAnna

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

SteveM wrote:Auld Lang Syne makes me cry like a small child, those dang weepy saxes get me every time.
I saw him the last time they played it on TV, New Year's Eve 1976-77. Lombardo was a national tradition on NYE TV previous to that. When he died in November 1977 there was actually talk of not celebrating NYE that year.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

So I guess he’s like Fred Waring? Decent 1920s stuff, but got really boring by the Decca years?
Last edited by AmberolaAndy on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

russmovaz wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote: I agree with the above- the older the better. Some of his Orthophonic sides can be very nice, like the novelty "The Broken Record" (I love you/I you/ I love you). Eventually he moved to "The Sweetest Music This Side Of Heaven" and became musically much less interesting.
I was viewing Lombardo on Youtube from what looks like the late 1950s. Pretty fair band playing and solos and good male singers.

Singers not as good as Dick Haymes or Buddy Clark, however.
Probably Don Rodney and Kenny Gardner. They were good but not outstanding.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

estott wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Some of the Lombardo 1920s Columbia Viva Tonal sides are actually quite hot. "The Cannonball", "I'm More Than Satisfied", "Waitin' For Katy" and "Under The Moon" come to mind.

I agree with the above- the older the better. Some of his Orthophonic sides can be very nice, like the novelty "The Broken Record" (I love you/I you/ I love you). Eventually he moved to "The Sweetest Music This Side Of Heaven" and became musically much less interesting.
There was just something about Decca.

Previously great bands signed with Decca and became snoozers... Armstrong, Lombardo, Ted Weems, Isham Jones... Bing Crosby was a very capable jazz/ scat singer before moving to Decca to become The Old Groaner. The Andrews Sisters early sides with Leon Belasco on Brunswick were quite jazzy, too... then they, too, signed with Decca and became "personalities" rather than artists, in my opinion.

And yet, there were exceptions. Most Dorsey Brothers Deccas are great and Glenn Miller's Decca sides are a real treat. Miller actually had a quite serious jazz oriented band in 1935-38, first with Columbia, then Brunswick, then Decca. For some reason, Miller went to Victor but acted like he went to Decca, LOL.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Gramo George wrote: "Previously great bands signed with Decca and became snoozers... Armstrong, Lombardo, Ted Weems, Isham Jones..."

I would be inclined to agree, as I love all the bands/artists you mention; however, as for "snoozers," a really pleasant surprise is my Isham Jones recording of "Dallas Blues" on Decca. It's a good one! https://youtu.be/eLnSeVOm2EU