The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Boyertown, PA
OrthoFan wrote:
I believe it was the HMV-31A (Colonial model) that was fitted with the #5a sound box and corresponding tonearm -- http://www.radio-antiks.com/IndexRadio- ... MV_31A.htm
Attachment:
1Capture.JPG


OrthoFan


The seller listed this as "1927." We talked about it, yet he still insisted on this date. I think I'd be prepared to tell people this is a 1935 machine. It seems like it's the very tail end of the Colonials, no?
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:41 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Boyertown, PA
I'm out of town for a few days and sadly away from my new machine, but I keep wondering about it.

It's such an odd duck. A horned machine in 1935 ... with no lid ... how were they marketing these? Maybe for people who wanted an old-world look? I don't THINK they were eclipsing the sound of the internal orthophonic Colonial offerings of the day? I'd love to see an ad or something.

Hey George, if you end up making yourself a new conduit, make TWO and sell me one. I suck at plumbing!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:55 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:21 pm
Posts: 3441
Location: The Somerset Levels, UK.
SteveM wrote:
I'm out of town for a few days and sadly away from my new machine, but I keep wondering about it.

It's such an odd duck. A horned machine in 1935 ... with no lid ... how were they marketing these? Maybe for people who wanted an old-world look? I don't THINK they were eclipsing the sound of the internal orthophonic Colonial offerings of the day? I'd love to see an ad or something.

Hey George, if you end up making yourself a new conduit, make TWO and sell me one. I suck at plumbing!


The main market for these very late open horn machines was India, a poor country without a reliable mains electricity supply.
Their simple wooden cases lowered the cost of production compared with the contemporary table and cabinet models, making them relatively affordable.
Even the EMI Archives do not have a complete set of Indian machine catalogues, so the chances of seeing a period advertisement are minimal.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:26 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Boyertown, PA
I took the HMV 31a to a 20s-themed charity gala a few nights ago, paired with a 102. Mic’d up, they sound pretty similar. It was so nice using two orthophonic machines with auto brakes again. It was a huge hit.


Attachments:
E959999F-EA11-4145-A841-3F9554BB7602.jpeg
E959999F-EA11-4145-A841-3F9554BB7602.jpeg [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 625 times ]
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:16 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Boyertown, PA
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:56 pm 
Offline
Victor VI
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:55 am
Posts: 3089
Location: Eugene/ Springfield Oregon USA
SteveM wrote:
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.


Automotive sound deadener works really well wrapped on the outside. It's adhesive, so no need to wrap with rubber bands, etc.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Boyertown, PA
gramophone-georg wrote:
SteveM wrote:
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.


Automotive sound deadener works really well wrapped on the outside. It's adhesive, so no need to wrap with rubber bands, etc.


Very cool, thanks George!
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: hmv 32 horn gramophone ... ever heard one? (long)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:11 pm 
Offline
Victor II
User avatar
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:20 pm
Posts: 286
Location: Boyertown, PA
gramophone-georg wrote:
SteveM wrote:
I read on the forum today how the conduits of these machines are sometimes wrapped to improve sound quality, as described below.

Inigo wrote:
This reminds me of what other colleagues do to the intermediate sound conduit of certain machines. The latest HMV external horn models (25, 32, 31a) had a tonearm detached from the horn, each one in one corner of the case. They are linked within the case through a sound pipe, which colleagues discovered works much better if damped, wrapping it in thick rubber bands and then adding plaster bands.. when dried these remain tightly around the conduit, adding mass and inertia, killing the vibrations added by the conduit material. EMG gramophones also have a long internal sound conduit, but this doesn't need wrapping, for they are thick cast aluminium, and very inert by themselves.


Anybody know anything about that?

My 31a is sounding pretty good ... rich and full. Not as well-balanced or perhaps "inert" as my 102, although louder. So, I'm always looking for ways to improve its sound.


Automotive sound deadener works really well wrapped on the outside. It's adhesive, so no need to wrap with rubber bands, etc.


Very cool, thanks George!
Edit: I saw the size and price of the deadening material and decided to try out some motorcycle exhaust fabric. Maybe a good idea with all these HOT JAZZ records :)
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Content © 2009-2020 by The Talking Machine Forum and the respective posters.
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.