The Sknat!; Another day, another soundbox!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: The Sknat!; Another day, another soundbox!

Post by epigramophone »

A long struggle but well worth the effort. Both the Sonat and the EMG have found a good home.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Nice work and nice video, with the seasonal backdrop!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Ahmed... Nice repair work. I see you're fond of Layton and Johnstone...? Years ago I got kind of a madness about them, when I just discovered them. Since then I've been buying their records... I have somewhat as two dozen of them. Not all are so good, but some ones are really good performances!
Inigo

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Thanks all for your kind words! I've been pleasantly surprised by its sound, so it's been very much worth the headache.... Now onto the next one :D

Indigo; I love Layton and Johnstone's work. Their chilled out delivery goes beautifully with a little burbon after a long day at work

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Good to hear the SONAT" soundbox is doing well, Ahmed.
Regarding Layton and Johnstone-they made 100s of 78s. Really the true artist was Turner Layton. If you have never heard any of his solo records, then do so, as they are a real treat, and the clarity is astounding on a good gramophone. Joe Batten, the recording manager had this to mention about his dealings with Layton and Johnstone. Batten says " when they were making records there might often be some interested folks watching from the recording room whilst they were recording a disc. If they felt that the performance was not up to their standard, they waited until the place was empty, and did it all again to their satisfaction!"
Their records turn up in almost every pile.
A most dramatic rendering of the negro spiritual "Were You There?" was recorded by Tuner Layton. One of his best achievements
They did make a few acoustic records. I have a couple.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yes, yes and yes... L&J did a really good job. Columbia also did, for these records sound admirably well. I also own some of Turner Layton solo recordings, and they're Indeed exquisite. I also own but one acoustic Columbia of the duo, no. 3751, Hello Tucky / When You And I Were Seventeen, the only acoustic in 37 Columbias I have gathered by this duo.
Inigo