Looking for horn crane

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
KCW
Victor II

Looking for horn crane

Post by KCW »

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for a horn crane for an Edison fireside horn. I’d like to fine me that isn’t too large, tabletop or so. I’d love to get one where the horn goes through a circle on a post or the kind where the horn is hung from a C shaped piece on a post. It does not need to be original. It sure where to look - any advice appreciated - thank you!

MikeB
Victor II

Re: Looking for horn crane

Post by MikeB »

Hi -

We would need to know which model Fireside you have, and which horn that you are trying to put on it. Is it a small red Fireside horn, a cygnet horn, or some other type of horn? Reproductions for the small red horns are available and fairly inexpensive.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

You may get a better response by posting a "wanted" ad in our Yankee Trader section..... ;)

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

It’s not a cygnet horn, but a red fireside small horn. I use it with a maroon GEM, but I have an Edison Home I want to use it on, but need a support crane as it hangs from a chain. I’m looking for a small floor crane to suspend it from. I’ve seen different types, but the ones I’m interested in either suspend the horn from the top of a metal circle or a letter C type holder. I;m just looking for something simple, but don’t know where to start looking, a repro would also be perfectly fine.

MikeB
Victor II

Post by MikeB »

I think that the cranes that were used on the Standards and Homes were generally made for larger horns and might be too long to use for a red Fireside horn, but I'm not sure. I believe that these small red and black horns were made specifically for the Firesides and Gems. Maybe a small table crane might work with your home and red horn, if you could find one. But if you are using your red horn on a Maroon Gem, that's a pretty great combination and I'd consider leaving it that way and finding a larger horn for your Home, or you could save your red horn for a Fireside, which looks really nifty, like mine. :)
Attachments
IMG_0582.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

KCW wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:47 am Hello everyone,

I’m looking for a horn crane for an Edison fireside horn. I’d like to fine me that isn’t too large, tabletop or so. I’d love to get one where the horn goes through a circle on a post or the kind where the horn is hung from a C shaped piece on a post. It does not need to be original. It sure where to look - any advice appreciated - thank you!
Make one yourself , it's dead easy and great to see your own efforts :D All you need is a piece of steel rod a bit of chain and a file !

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

A table crane would be great. Any ideas on where I might find one?

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

I found some photos in an old forum of a reproduction table crane from Columbia. This is something like it would be great. I wrote the person who used to make them so we will see. Is there anyone else out there that makes something similar? Thank you!
Attachments
74F8D845-9698-4163-ADBE-AD5CC483FCF7.jpeg

KCW
Victor II

WANTED: Looking for horn crane

Post by KCW »

Bump - any recommendations? Been checking eBay with no luck. Thank you!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

That specific table horn crane will be difficult to obtain. Originals are very scarce, and though replicas were once made, they rarely show up.

Best of luck,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.