Good repairman in South Carolina area?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Good repairman in South Carolina area?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I am needing a reliable repair for a Victor III and an Edison Home B in the South Carolina area. The Edison has been converted before I got it with a 2/4 Amberol attachment and the Victor is almost completely stock with the exception of the main springs and the gasket material, slotted crank, and escutcheon.

The Victor will not stay wound up anymore. Springs are good and you can start the motor by cranking it over a few times but if you take your hand off the winding handle it will spin back. The ratchet isn't engaged anymore and I've had this problem before including one time it nearly destroyed the machine when it let go while I was busking with it at a street festival. I found the crank in the street under an automobile with a split in the metal, and the springs and ratchet destroyed. Never did find the escutcheon. I've got a single-piece ratchet on it and gear but don't know enough about early Vic motors to dive in and make it right. It came from a Goodwill auction and wasn't too badly messed with before I got it but I'm still baffled.

The Edison Home B is not original; I rebuilt the motor and refinished the case and it's not super great but it looks really fantastic at six feet away. Before I finish the pinstripes and reattach the data plate I need to sort out the workings because it simply does not work -- in and out of gear, slipping belt, not able to stay together. It's a machine I bought at a swap meet for $125 from the parts section and instead of junking it I made a pet project of it. Motor is rebuilt with a known good used spring and I forget what else.

These machines are two that I'd like to have working but haven't ever figured out how to get right. The Edison might need a part or two, and I am scared to mess with the Victor after that accident it had.

Anyone out there working on these in the SC/NC/wherever area? Thanks a bunch anyone who replies.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Good repairman in South Carolina area?

Post by Curt A »

The problem with your Vic III is most likely related to a gummed up ratchet pawl (the "C" shaped metal part that moves into the ratchet gear to act as a brake). They are often restricted in movement by hardened grease, vaseline or a missing wire spring. The pawl needs to move freely to operate correctly, otherwise they cause the exact problems you described.

Two people I would suggest for repairs are: (1) Bill Beam - Pumpkin Center, NC (near Lincolnton)
(704) 770-8472
(2) Brian Parlier - thephonographshop.com near Midland, NC (704) 995-9142 or (704) 644-8606

Both will be at our local swap meet Sat. August 10 at 10AM in Mooresville, NC at Bob Amon's building in downtown Mooresville behind the Epic Chophouse. You (and anyone interested) are welcome to attend.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife