Question regarding Mechanical Music Extravaganza

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
FredSugarHall_fan
Victor O
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!
Location: Head? In the clouds. The rest of me? The dance floor!!!

Question regarding Mechanical Music Extravaganza

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

Hello,

I've just moved to the East Coast to begin college. I'm planning on trying to make it to the Mechanical Music Extravaganza, but my issue is that I don't have a car to get there and I am about 4 hours away from NJ. What I am wondering is the following: is there someone also interested in the show who would be willing to carpool up to the Extravaganza, and potentially make it back to VA late that night? If you would be willing to extend an offer, feel free to PM me or reply to this post.

Thank you very much for looking.

(This post also appeared in the Music section)

outune
Victor IV

Re: Question regarding Mechanical Music Extravaganza

Post by outune »

Hi- Please introduce your self and where you are located? This forum has lots of great folks that are a wealth of knowledge about our hobby. I've collected and restored machines for 48 years-- one of the "old men" in the hobby.
I live in Northern Virginia-- about 20 miles NW of DC... I've been to the Wayne, NJ phono show many, many times Unfortunately, it doesn't appear I will make the October show. There is a large craft fair that my wife loves that is always on that same weekend-- We try turn it into some time together-- I do plan to attend the Wayne show in the spring.

Regarding the show-- There is a parking lot sale on Saturday and the main show on Sunday. I drive up super early Saturday morning (leave around 2 am)-- 5 hour drive-- then stay in a hotel that night and set up at the Sunday show. Then return back to Virginia Sunday night.
The show is well worth attending-- The organizer, Mike Devecka, does a nice job and there always seems to be large crowds.
In the meantime--Where in VA are you? What school? Though I live in Northern VA., I was an adjunct with James Madison Univ for many years (even though I did grad school at UVA) :)
It would be nice to meet a new VA collector. I hope it can work out for you to attend the show.
Brad Abell

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor O
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

Brad - PM sent. Thank you very much.

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor O

Update -- if anyone can make a stop at my college along the way before the show, that could also work. And it sounds like from what I've heard, people usually show up a day earlier. I'd be willing to tag along earlier as I don't have any commitments the weekend of, and no need to be home immediately on Sunday night. Sorry about the confusion. Again, thanks for looking.

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor O

Bump -- I will PM you my location and contact info/any other information that you may find helpful if you might be able to help out in some way. Thank you for looking.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

How will anyone know if they can help if you don't post your location? What college are you attending and where exactly are you in VA? Don't expect people to message you to ask for the details. You are asking a favor without providing basic important information/details and what, if anything, are you willing to contribute...? Are you expecting free transportation to and from the show, how about hotel rooms and meals?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor O

Good afternoon, Curt,

My apologies I failed to answer these questions and be more clear in the initial post. I am located in the town of Purcellville in northern Virginia, in Loudoun County. I am attending Patrick Henry College, and live on campus. I am NOT expecting any transportation, hotel rooming, or meals to be paid for me. Hence, I have prepared myself to take on the costs that may come with any of those.

I haven't been to a true phonograph/record show before, but I have been collecting records and machines for a little over 2 years now. I primarily collect American and British jazz/dance band music from the 1920s and 1930s, but I do enjoy some swing music from the 1940s. I would love to attend the MMA, as I have heard it is one of the largest in the country.

Hopefully this is helpful information and clears up the confusion I caused with my initial vagueness.