Frankenphone- and they SAY so!

Post by estott »

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Frankenphone- and they SAY so!

Post by OrthoFan »

0d80_1.JPG
0d80_1.JPG (9.45 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
:?: The seller knows enough to label it a "Frankenphone," but not enough to realize that it can't play an Edison DD.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

BANG! goes another HMV Intermediate Monarch. :cry:

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan wrote:The seller knows enough to label it a "Frankenphone," but not enough to realize that it can't play an Edison DD.
I thought that was a nice touch, also, and was wondering where Edison came into the picture, as the only Edison content that my very untrained eyes were seeing was the EDISON Re-Creation on the turntable.

Plus (and Steve, Richard or any other HMV expert, please correct me if I am wrong), I do not think that The Gramophone Company ever put their logo under the arm to support the horn so that it was partially obstructed.

Is that a HMV horn?

— MordEth

[hr][/hr]
eBay Item #260369145951

Collectible Frankenphone Edison Talking Machine

From an estate is a Frankenphone Edison Talking Machine. The reason this is a Frankenphone is because of mixed components and put together in Pakistan and India in the last forty or fifty years according to source.
  • Label on the box reads...“His Master’s Voice” and below “The Gramophone Co.”
  • There is no serial number that I could find...looked under the turntable.
  • The dial on the horn reads "Victor Talking Machine Co"...the rest is illegible.
  • The needle cannot be used on any record because of its condition.
With this machine is an Edison 10" record perhaps ½" thick. One one side is “Roll On! Silver Moon—Yodel Song”. On the other side is “In the Sweet Long Ago”.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Now no one can say he wasn't aware of it. The term Frankenphone has grown to a quite common name.